Advertisement

Something Strange, Curious, or Peculiar

Something Strange, Curious, or Peculiar I used assets from archive.org for this video.



Something Strange, Curious, or Peculiar is a short film that merges outer space imagery with clips from audiobooks of classic novels. When learning about Avant Garde films this week I was inspired to bring some elements of classic novels into the realm of Science Fiction. The excerpts I used are from Dracula by Bram Stoker, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, and Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.



I am hoping the film will evoke the childlike wonder you may feel when looking up at the stars. Outer space is vast, beautiful, and mysterious. I chose to juxtapose stories from our world with images of space to illustrate that this world, and even our own environment, can be just as beautiful and mysterious. At the same time, I hope the familiarity of the words from such well-known novels will help to make the viewer comfortable, so we are encouraged to look up and outside of ourselves. I chose these particular passages because they each describe something odd which highlights the strange wonder of the visuals.



I hope the comfort of these well-known stories has my viewers reflecting on the beauty and mystery of the universe. I hope the allure of the stars can bring new readers to these classic tales. I also hope to encourage everyone to embrace the strange, curious, and peculiar because these are some of the very best bits of a great story.

Peculiar

Post a Comment

0 Comments